- Course Leader: Patrick Leevers
Department of Mechanical Engineering
For postgraduate students on the Advanced Mechanical Engineering programme
For all course details and materials, please see ME4-MFEAA.
Series of workshops of 3D printing with 6-axis industrial robotic arms that we are planning to run in the beginning of May at the Robots.IO premises.
More specifically, we will be presenting two workshops in which participants will engage in 3D printing using Robots.IO in-house robots, and will learn through making, through the use of IO robot simulation plug-in for Rhino's Grasshopper. We will introduce participants to robotic fabrication and we will investigate approaches to generate forms through digital parametric design and physical prototyping [3D printing]. In general, the fabrication process of these workshops will speculate on the advantages of using 6-axis robotic arms to extend what is possible in conventional 3D printing.
There is a plethora of advantages of this innovative approach, including:
- Variation of shapes that may be fabricated, taking advantage of the ability to control the orientation of the end-effector / extruder or part.
- Ability to fabricate large-scale objects without the cost associated with a dedicated 3D printer.
- Fast 3D printing becomes possible through the generation of space-frames.
- Robots are multi use, and can combine other processes with 3D printing e.g. milling for re-shaping
UK NEST is a forum of organisations from within the UK Naval defence sector. Our Members include the Ministry of Defence, Royal Navy, BAE Systems, Babcock, Thales, QinetiQ, Cammell Laird, Rolls Royce, GE Power Conversion, Atlas Elektronik, BMT, SEA and Matchtech, together with a number of the professional Institutes and Lloyd's Register.
"SSA are a fast growing and dynamic company providing software, training and consulting services in Computer Aided Engineering and carry out product simulation using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and multiphysics."
They are currently looking for a support & application engineer - see details attached.